Monday, October 24, 2011

On the Move...

I know I was "supposed" to have a post about the floor redo, with lots of photos.  I just haven't gotten around to actually going downtown where there's a faster internet connection to upload pictures.  It will get done eventually.

Things are slowing down a bit on the farm.  The pigs and lambs went to market today.  We'll be dispatching the rooster later this week (whom I lovingly called "Fitzwilliam" after Mr. Darcy until he started attacking us), and then we'll be hosting our annual FarmAid party this weekend.

Things are also slowing down with my running, as I  hurt my foot on Friday after my first attempt at a 5.2 mile run.  It was a cool, cloudy day--perfect conditions for a run-- and while I've been running since the middle of July, the 5.2 miles was a stretch.  Our valley is very hilly--I have no idea what it is like to run on flat ground--and usually I run only between 2 and 3 miles.  After the run, I felt pretty good but then Saturday I woke up and realized that the outside edge of my right foot was very sore (okay, running friends, any potential diagnoses--I don't think it's plantar fasciitis).  This is the first time I've taken more than one consecutive day off, and I'm feeling a little bit guilty about it.  However, considering that I can't even walk all that well on the foot, running would probably not be in my best interest.

I never considered myself a runner and the last time I ran regularly was in high school many moons ago.  To tell the truth, I really detest running.   I've never understood the "runner's high" because I certainly haven't felt "that good" after running.  But this summer, while I was sitting on the porch reading a novel (the protagonist was a runner) I figured I should get off my butt and do something more active.  Following my older brother's logic, running seemed the obvious choice, primarily because it's cheap and accessible.  I started very slowly (kind of following the Chi Running technique) doing a run/walk around our "block" which is conveniently just about a 5K (3.1 miles).  Over the past 2 months, I've slowly taken out the walking stretches to where I am only walking about a 200 yard stretch that is in the middle of a 1 mile climb.  I've also found other routes in town to stave off boredom, some of which are flatter than the "block" (my very supportive darling husband thinks it's rather ridiculous that I drive somewhere to run) and I also found a running partner with whom to run at 6am every other weekday (which my very supportive darling husband thinks is a ridiculously early hour to go running at, especially since it's dark and cold). I was running about 5 days a week until this weekend. 

So now that I'm laying low for a bit I suppose I will have just a little more time to work on nursing school essays, microbiology notes, Spanish practice and maybe even just sleeping in for 10 more minutes in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment