Friday, October 7, 2011

First Fridays: October

I know you're all expecting me to do something with wool, and I probably will, but not this month!

For October's first Friday, I am showcasing a project that is certainly fun, and truly simple to do.  I call it the "Paint Chip Collage" but I'm sure it has another name and while the concept is not original (I learned about it from my mother about 10 years ago, but I think she found it in Real Simple), each product is certainly unique!

The collage below was actually assembled and given to me as a wedding shower gift from my bestest childhood friend (I had made one for her for her wedding shower two years prior).

The beauty of this project is that it is almost no cost, and the intent is to individualize it as much as possible for the recipient.  It all comes down to the unique names of paint colors.  Have you ever given the names of paint chips much thought?  Next time you're at the hardware store, pick up a few.  The ones in the photo above include "Bridle Path", "Island Palm", "Sailboat White", "June Wedding", "Ocean Breeze"; all phrases that are associated with me and/or my relationship with my bestest friend!  While it's not easy to see the names (and you may not even particularly like the colors), you know that the combination is an accurate description for the person receiving the gift!

When I was overseas for about a month several years ago, I had friends and family send a paint chip (that I had picked out and put into stamped envelopes) to my darling husband (we were dating at the time) every couple days.  I have not yet actually made that collage (7 years later), but he still has the chips. 

Simply glue the chips onto some stockcard and frame.  VoilĂ !, a non-foofy, interesting, eye-catching piece of personable artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment