Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How to Make the Most of 3 Days? Don't Do, Just Be

A few weeks ago I made the decision to take a mini vacation from nursing school and head down to the Outerbanks where the family has been celebrating annually ever since my dad was a kid.  This was important to me fore a few reasons.  First, I hadn't been down there with the extended family since 2009.  Prior to that, I had only missed two other years my entire life (1989 and 1999).  It was time to go back.  Second, while I still technically live in the same house as my darling husband and Bud, I really don't get a chance to see them.  My darling husband jokingly (or maybe not so much) said to various relatives "I have to drive 700 miles to spend time with my wife".  Third, I really needed a break.  

My plane left Albany on Tuesday morning at 5:30am.  I was on the beach by 11am.  Not bad.  My plane heading back to Albany was leaving at 7:30pm on Friday, which meant I had to get off the beach by 1:30pm Friday.  So...what to do in just over 72 hours?  How could I maximize 72 hours of vacation.  Simply by doing nothing.

In previous years I would have visited the sand dunes, biked extensively, gone running, gone fishing, played tennis, played mini-golf, explored the area shops.  My husband and I would have gone out for an entire evening.  I would have taken naps inside and read lots and lots of trashy novels. Some years it would seem that the entire vacation consisted of a "To-Do" list that had to be checked off as you went along.

I helped build this sand castle several years ago.  There was no sand castle building on this year's agenda
This time, I sat on the beach and swam in the ocean.  And ate and drank and slept.  And sat on the beach some more.  And spent more time in the ocean. You get the point. My dearest mother was able to persuade me to go out with her for a two hour outing that involved shopping for clothes,  and my darling husband and I did go out for drinks after dinner one night.  I even went on a couple short bike rides and shot some hoops with Bud.  But the point of this vacation was to relax and not feel obligated to do anything.  Because there as none of the pressure to do vacation-y things, it turned out to be the best 72 hours in a long time.   


No comments:

Post a Comment