Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bookstore as communication conduit

The set-up:

Anne from the bookstore calls about two weeks ago to let me know that Ariel (a poetry collection by Sylvia Plath) is in.  Apparently my darling husband had ordered it to use while writing his next novel.  I may or may not have told my darling husband of her call.

The aforementioned bookstore is 25 miles away, but in the same town as my nursing school and Bud's Tae-kwon-do classes.  There are plenty of opportunities to go and pick up the book.   There are also plenty of times to let my husband know that said book is in. And plenty of time for my husband to let me know that he did indeed pick up the book.

The scene:

I walk into the bookstore, and after perusing for a few moments (I didn't find anything that struck my fancy, but this is probably because my brain was so focused on school and became overwhelmed by the vast selection of interesting titles) I approached the sales counter. After exchanging pleasantries (I'm a familiar face in the shop)...

"I'm here to pick up a book, Ariel.  A book of poems" (I didn't know it was Plath at that time).

A slight pause by Meghan, one of the shopkeepers.  She glances over at Michelle, the owner.

"I don't think Tom picked it up, but he may have" I quickly add, in case there was some confusion. 

"No, it's up there, it's hardcover" Michelle says over her shoulder gesturing towards the reserved book section.

As Meghan hands me the book, I comment that sometimes my husband and I aren't the best with communicating these mundane details to one another.   Both women give a knowing laugh.  

"So now the bookstore is going to act as the medium for your communication! We'll just pass the messages between you two" Meghan exclaims. Then more seriously,  "If he comes in later, we'll let him know you picked it up." (Of course, if we were like the rest of the general populations, we would both have cell phones  smart phones and be able to text one another about these little items.  But, we are not the general population).

"That would be fabulous! Thanks."

Seriously, while we talk about the big things, my darling husband and I forget the little things.  The other night we thought the other person had let the mutt inside.  Nope.  She spent the night on the porch (although she didn't seem to be too bothered by it).  Then there's the communication that does occur, but follow-through is lacking.  It goes something like this:

"Honey, can you pick up some milk while you're out?"

"Sure."

30 minutes later...

"Did you get the milk?"

"Nope, I forgot!"

Which of course leads us to other establishments that act as communication mediums for us. The post office ("He already picked up the mail today") and the general store ("I just saw her when she came in to get the milk").  But I digress.

As I pay for the book, Meghan reminds me that I will get the 15% discount next time I come in (frequent buyers get frequent discounts). 

"But make sure you come in and spend it before he does!"

No worries.  I'll forget to tell him!






No comments:

Post a Comment