Sunday, September 19, 2010

Farm Aid 2010

It looks like Google just made some updates, so it is easier to edit my pages.  Very exciting. Hence, the orange, and the different font.

It's been a busy week (and weekend) in my hometown.  The tomatoes keep coming in, and I'm running out of time and ideas for what to do with them.  I made a peach and tomato salsa a few nights ago, and it turned out well despite needing to be processed in the pressure canner.  We've also had lots of pasta and tomato sauce this past week.  I plan on dehydrating some once I finish drying some apples.  

Perhaps I mentioned this before, but we had a low crop of both potatoes (due to the blight) and carrots (due to my lack of attention and some pests) this season so we are supplementing those with some produce from a  local organic farm.  Which brings me to my next topic...Farm Aid. 

Check out their website here, but basically the organization has been helping family farms (NOT agricorporations) for 25 years.  Every year, the group holds a fabulous concert and this year it is on Saturday, October 2nd.  You can see the concert live if you happen to be in Milwaukee.  We are hosting a Farm Aid/Earth Dinner (you can read about Organic Valley and Earth Dinners here) on that date so if you're in the neighborhood, drop by.  The idea is that the weather will be beautiful, and people will be gathering at our farm from 4pm to whenever.  We have asked everyone to bring a side dish made from ingredients provided by a local farm (it is the height of the harvest season, so it shouldn't be difficult).  We are also going to have the phone numbers and web pages available to make a donation to Farm Aid. 

Sadly, while our pigs will have gone to market by then, we will not have them back from the butcher in time for the party, and our turkeys will be just a bit too small to send off at that time.  So, my darling husband and I will prepare a beef roast or two to serve as a main meat dish.  

Have a great week everyone!  Happy almost autumn!  

No comments:

Post a Comment