Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cucumbers, cucumbers everywhere

I really cannot keep up with the cucumbers. They just keep growing, and growing. I don't know how many jars of pickles I can actually make. The last few days have been very busy on the farm. After a lull in July, August is a big month for getting ready for winter. Our four cords (not face cords) of wood are being trucked in and we are spending lots of time moving and stacking logs. Not a whole lot of fun. We also moved our sheep for the last time up to the big hill. They will graze that down, and then over the course of the next two or three months we will slowly move their pasture back towards the barn. But the largest consumption of time is the food processing. Now that so much is ready for harvesting, I am spending entire days in the kitchen preparing it. I am also aware of the produce we don't grow on our farm and buying that now as well to put up for the winter. I bought peaches, blueberries and strawberries at the farmer's market, and have frozen all of the above so we will have fruit in the off season. I've also probably bought a 1/2 bushel of peppers to slice up, saute and freeze, or stuff. We always try to grow our own bell peppers, but we rarely get a lot. I have also frozen several quarts of corn. Our own corn from the garden isn't ready yet so I buy a dozen or so ears at a time from various roadside stands. The celery is also in on various farms. We don't really eat celery but we do make lots of soup during the winter, so I chopped that up as well to freeze. I made a mint and zucchini fritatta yesterday to use up eggs, mint and zucchini; all things that we have in (over)abundance on the farm. I also have made zucchini bread, zucchini relish, stuffed zucchini, and I plan on making zucchini and feta pancakes. Lots of zucchini. Luckily, it can just be grated and thrown in the freezer for future use. We are also fortunate to have 6 hogs who will happily chow down on the squash that gets too large. Something is getting into the carrots and gnawing at the tops. I'm not sure how well they will store, so I plan on making a beet and carrot salad, and maybe canning the carrots instead of storing them in the root cellar. Carrot cake is always a possibility too!

1 comment:

  1. Clearly, the best use of mint is juleps. Start drinking.

    ReplyDelete